Some Dartmoor Magic

Welcome -    The ECC Members Forum is for any member to post topics of general interest.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      John Baker
      Participant

Following on from the inspirational presentation by Josephine Collingwood last night I thought I would share a couple of my recent shots taken while testing a new lens.

Since Covid I have started getting out, trying to do more exercise, taking the camera & shooting more landscapes, so apart from recent playing with astro, this is something I had not really done since the late 1970’s.

Getting a new/old camera during Covid has really motivated & inspired me to get out. The camera is a old digital Leica M9, which is about as far from the latest tech as you can imagine. The majority of the features are firmly based in the 1950’s.

Framing is very hit & miss, the viewfinder does not change when you swap lenses, there are a set of guidelines that show roughly where things will be – but it’s not exact, there is no Live View.  Focus is difficult, there is no AF – most of the time it’s easier to use the depth of field scales on the lens than to try using the focusing lenses. Lens choice is limited, there are no zoom lenses, the camera is designed to work in the range of 28mm to 135mm, you can use wider lenses, but you then need an additional viewfinder to frame, or the other option, is to guess – they are not ideal.

So why do I bother, older camera adds challenges, modern cameras are simply amazing machines, they do everything for you.  Simply pointing your camera in the right direction & the camera will sort everything, all you need to do is sort through the hundreds of shots to find the right one.  The older camera slows you down, makes you think, you need to engage with your subject – look to see what is going to be in or out of the shot – everything is based on your input. There are plenty of opportunities to get really get things wrong…

So, to extend my options I decided to add a 28mm lens to my kit, it turns out that I rather like that focal length, it’s the same as you get with your basic phone. I find it far nicer than my 35mm, which I found was not really wide enough.  With my DSLR & Mirrorless, I use zooms all the time, I don’t bother to check what focal length I use, I simply frame & start shooting

So, these are a couple of the test shots taken around Hound Tor, Bowerman’s Nose and Hayne Down. I did not have access to any models, so I did a couple of portraits on the Belted Galloways & some sheep…

Attachments:
        You must be logged in to view attached files.
        Sheila Haycox
        Keymaster

John, Like the photos, it seems as though your file has exceeded the file size but I can still see them

Sheila

John Baker
          Participant

I can’t seem to be able to edit the original post, not sure if that is a failing of the system, my lack of knowledge or a simply a policy/admin decision??    It would be really nice to be able to correct/update posts.
            Interestingly I was not able to preview before doing the final posting, plus there did not seem to be any obvious flag to say they were too large??  I am sure it was possibly because I did not go in & read all the instructions.

I have compressed the files & attached them to this 🙂

Attachments:
            You must be logged in to view attached files.
            Phil Woolley
            Participant

Hi John,

It seems that you lose the ability to edit a post as soon as you are logged off the website.

I’ve mentioned this to Gary.

Phil

John Baker
              Participant

Hi Phil noted, the problem was I was not aware of the issue until it was pointed out by Sheila – I did not think I had logged out, but appreciate that it will take a bit of learning, all systems are slightly different 🙂

Viewing 4 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.